[Flang-dev] [RFC] Enable CI for flang/f18 on travis-ci.org

Francesco Petrogalli Francesco.Petrogalli at arm.com
Thu Dec 20 16:14:35 EST 2018

> On Dec 20, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Travis CI is fantastic and this is a great idea.

Yes, I agree :)

>  I hope you have experience dealing with very long clones and builds, because those tend to be an issue.

That’s my concern too - I hope to overcome this problem with docker. But first step is to try if a plain build from scratch works.

> Do you have Travis CI enabled in your fork of the repo?  Seeing it working there makes it a lot easier to get everybody on board with this.

That was my original plan, but it seems that there are some legal concerns in enabling this on a separate for of the repo.

For now, it would be easier if you could enable this on the original flag repo. If you have concerns doing this (for example you don’t want to have to deal with any problem related to having to run it on master), we could enable travis only for a specific branch of the flang repo (see for example https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/customizing-the-build/#safelisting-or-blocklisting-branches). How about you create an experimental branch in flang where I could submit travis-only pull requests? One we are happy with the travis-only branch, we can merge it in master and activate travis for master too.

Let me know if this works for you, and if it does, let me know what is the branch that you want me to use for the experiment.

Kind regards,

Francesco