[Flang-dev] [RFC] Enable CI for flang/f18 on travis-ci.org

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:22:45 EST 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 1:14 PM Francesco Petrogalli <
Francesco.Petrogalli at arm.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 20, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Travis CI is fantastic and this is a great idea.
>
> Yes, I agree :)
>
> >  I hope you have experience dealing with very long clones and builds,
> because those tend to be an issue.
> >

> That’s my concern too - I hope to overcome this problem with docker. But
> first step is to try if a plain build from scratch works.

I don't know enough about Docker in Travis CI to know if this has the
potential to hide any problems that should be caught.

> > Do you have Travis CI enabled in your fork of the repo?  Seeing it
> working there makes it a lot easier to get everybody on board with this.
> >

> That was my original plan, but it seems that there are some legal concerns
> in enabling this on a separate for of the repo.
>
> For now, it would be easier if you could enable this on the original flag
> repo. If you have concerns doing this (for example you don’t want to have
> to deal with any problem related to having to run it on master), we could
> enable travis only for a specific branch of the flang repo (see for example
> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/customizing-the-build/#safelisting-or-blocklisting-branches).
> How about you create an experimental branch in flang where I could submit
> travis-only pull requests? One we are happy with the travis-only branch, we
> can merge it in master and activate travis for master too.
>
> Let me know if this works for you, and if it does, let me know what is the
> branch that you want me to use for the experiment.

I don't have the power to do any of this.  I was merely trying to make
helpful suggestions, but I don't understand and can't comment on the legal
issues you mention.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hammond