[Flang-dev] new Flang discussions?

David Greene dag at cray.com
Thu Oct 11 10:40:23 EDT 2018

blubee blubeeme <gurenchan at gmail.com> writes:

> I think this new version of F18 will still parse and generate token
> streams but then instead of manually generating the lower level code,
> it'll be turned into LLVM IR so that any platform that supports LLVM
> will have an easier time implementing new features, fixes, etc..

I was hoping f18 would lower to something akin to clang's AST.
Obviously clang's AST doesn't directly apply to Fortran but perhaps some
kind of common interface could exist so that clang tools could work with
Fortran codes.  It would be great to have things like the clang static
analyzer and clang-doc for Fortran.

Some tools will be language-specific of course but it seems like Fortran
and C-family languages share enough common concepts that some tooling
could work with both, given a common interface.  Language-specific tools
would work with a more language-specific interface.

My impression from the presentation is that there's a lot more that
could be shared with clang.  The messaging system and command-line
options infrastructure should be shareable, for example.  Maybe there's
already work being done in these areas to make f18 a first-class LLVM
project.

I do find it concerning that there's almost no discussion about f18 on
this list.  Where is that discussion happening?

                         -David