[Flang-dev] new Flang discussions?

Roger Ferrer Ibáñez rofirrim at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 11:02:58 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I'm also very interested in the source-level tooling opportunities that may
arise due to f18.

I work in a supercomputing center where several HPC applications are
written by domain experts, but not necessarily experts in Fortran, whose
work can benefit a lot from tools that operate at the source-level.

Having taken the approach in the past of trying to reuse as much as C/C++
ASTs for Fortran in our in-house tools, I have to admit I'm not really
enticed by the idea. After all the two languages are very different. In
terms of memory/storage representation I guess this makes sense, but trying
to mold Fortran language parts into "similar enough" C/C++ trees appeals
less so to me. At least that has been my experience in the past. However, I
also understand that in circumstances where the functionality to implement
is the same as for C/C++, not being able to reuse code due to
language-specific differences can be seen as a burden.

Regarding the command-line, looks very reasonable to me to make them closer
to clang (in a fashion similar to what gfortran can do respect to gcc/g++),
but Fortran users are (unavoidably) used to have to deal with different
compilers each one having their own style and sets of command-line
parameters, so perhaps there is less interest here.

Reusing as much infrastructure as possible as long as it does not concern
strictly to the source language also makes sense to me.

Kind regards,
Roger

Missatge de David Greene <dag at cray.com> del dia dj., 11 d’oct. 2018 a les
16:41: