[Flang-dev] new Flang discussions?

McCormick, Pat pat at lanl.gov
Thu Oct 11 12:27:58 EDT 2018

This is a fun can of worms…

We've had some face-to-face discussions about this and unfortunately I can’t remember the full laundry list of details.  One aspect of Fortran that stuck in my brain that has rarely become evident to me when looking at code is that Fortran keywords are specifically not reserved words.  It is in the standard(s)…   Someone from PGI/NVIDIA will have to help refresh my memory about our full discussions in this regard; they have way more experience dealing with such nuances of Fortran than I do.

My take (but I’m rusty) is that this introduces some oddities/subtleties and corner cases that are potentially messy in borrowing some infrastructure from Clang — it would seem a Fortran AST would only be sound after a second evaluation pass (i.e. you have to have a full construct to “understand" it).  In the end, you potentially have to mutate node types and maybe even the overall AST structure to address this.

I honestly can’t come up with a (good) reason why I would want to program this way — maybe someone else knows the motivations behind this decision in the standard(s)?   Anyways, my eventual take away was this seems to fundamentally be at odds with some of the Clang design philosophies.  Someone can refresh my memory here if I’ve missed something…

All that said, the tooling aspects of this thread are extremely high on our “wish list" — it is actually the most requested feature and the fundamental reason our application teams are excited about Flang.   It would be good to get a laundry list from the community about some requirements and features in this area…

—Pat