[Flang-dev] new Flang discussions?

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 02:57:57 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 1:41 AM Troy Johnson <troyj at cray.com> wrote:

> I’ve been following this list since the new Flang webinar in July, but the
> only traffic I’ve seen is regarding the “old” Flang.  Is discussion of the
> new version occurring somewhere else, or has there just not been any
> discussion of it since the webinar?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Troy

The current flang manually generates the lower level instructions through
their symbol tables and there's a lot of platform specific stuff that's a
bit rough to handle in flangsrc/runtime/libpgmath

I think this new version of F18 will still parse and generate token streams
but then instead of manually generating the lower level code, it'll be
turned into LLVM IR so that any platform that supports LLVM will have an
easier time implementing new features, fixes, etc..

This allows the team to focus on improving the Fortran source to LLVM IR
and then all the benefits of LLVM comes for free.

That in theory should bring a lot more eyes to the project and improve the
Fortran->IR->Platform code which should in turn make more optimized Fortran
code run faster for everyone.

Anyone can hop in and start hacking away at the project.

My main question is in the Readme, it says we need GCC Headers.

Selection of the C++ compiler

F18 is written in C++17.

The code has been compiled and tested with GCC versions 7.2.0, 7.3.0,
8.1.0, and 8.2.0. The code has been compiled and tested with clang 6.0
using either GCC 7.3.0 or 8.1.0 headers; however, the headers needed small
patches.